THE DAY I DISCOVERED THAT MY OLD BLOG WAS STILL BEING READ
The Day I Discovered That My Old Blog Was Still Being Read
There are moments in a writer's life when a small discovery brings an unexpectedly big smile. For me, that moment came in 2026, when I discovered something I had never really expected.
My old blog was still being read.
I had almost forgotten about it.
For nearly two years, I had stopped blogging. I had moved on to another project and had become busy learning something completely different. Yet, somewhere on the internet, my old articles were quietly waiting—and people were still reading them.
That discovery made me think: Perhaps a blog never really dies when its articles continue to help someone.
My Blogging Journey
My blog is called MY DIARY PAGES. I have never considered myself a specialist blogger. In fact, I write about almost anything that interests me.
I am a retired teacher. I completed 72 years of age, and writing has become my companion during my leisure time.
My blog reflects my curiosity rather than one particular profession or niche.
Over the years, I have written about subjects such as:
- Career counselling
- Computers and technology
- Finance and the stock market
- Global warming
- Health and fitness
- Home-based businesses
- Homeschooling
- Internet business
- Cricket and the FIFA World Cup
- IPL and ICC World Cup
- Space exploration
- Migration from hill villages of Uttarakhand
- Pets and animals
- Self-improvement
- Qatar
- Nobel Prize winners
- The Kumaoni wedding
- And many other subjects that attracted my attention
Some people might say, "You should choose only one niche."
Perhaps they are right from an SEO point of view.
But MY DIARY PAGES is more like a personal diary of ideas. I write about whatever I feel deserves to be written about.
I Learned Computers After Retirement
My relationship with computers is also an interesting part of my story.
During my working years, I knew very little about computers. My teaching profession kept me busy, and I simply did not have enough time to explore technology deeply.
After retirement, however, I decided to learn.
I started using computers, the internet, blogging and eventually YouTube.
I am still not a computer expert. I make mistakes. Sometimes I have to learn something several times before I understand it.
But retirement gave me something I did not have earlier:
time to learn.
And perhaps that is one of the greatest advantages of retirement.
Why Did I Stop Blogging?
About two years ago, I paused blogging.
One important reason was monetization.
I had hoped that my blog might eventually earn some money, but I failed to achieve monetization. I gradually realised that I did not understand SEO, blogging strategy, keywords, traffic generation and many other technical aspects well enough.
Some of my articles received almost no views.
Naturally, I began to wonder:
Was I making mistakes?
Was my writing not good enough?
Was my SEO wrong?
Was choosing multiple niches a mistake?
Should I have concentrated on one subject?
These questions remained unanswered.
Eventually, I stopped blogging.
Then Came the Surprise in 2026
After almost two years away from blogging, I returned to look at my old work.
And then came the surprise.
People were still reading my articles.
Not thousands of people. Not a huge amount of traffic.
But enough to make me stop and think.
I had assumed that when I stopped writing, my blog had effectively stopped living.
I was wrong.
Some of my old articles were still being discovered through search.
That experience taught me an important lesson:
A blog post can have a life of its own.
The writer may stop writing, but the article can continue to answer questions, provide information or simply give someone an interesting perspective.
My blogs were being read by the people in United States, India, Brazil, Germany United Kingdom, Spain, France, Finland, and other Asian countries.
My YouTube Journey
During my blogging break, I also moved towards YouTube.
I started THE SCHOOL OF GRAMMAR, a YouTube channel focused on English grammar for secondary-school students and learners preparing for examinations such as NDA, CDS and other competitive examinations.
This is a subject where I have considerable experience.
I taught English grammar for more than 30 years.
On YouTube, I am using a simple whiteboard and marker. It may not look as sophisticated as many modern educational channels, but I believe the most important thing is the quality and clarity of the teaching.
This experience has also taught me another lesson:
A teacher does not necessarily need expensive equipment to share knowledge.
Knowledge, experience and the ability to explain a subject clearly matter more.
Of course, YouTube requires specialization. Unlike MY DIARY PAGES, THE SCHOOL OF GRAMMAR has a much clearer subject focus.
Should I Continue With a Multi-Niche Blog?
This is the question I am asking myself now.
Should I continue MY DIARY PAGES as a multi-niche blog?
Or should I choose a particular niche?
From everything I have experienced, I believe there is room for a personal, multi-topic blog—but I should be more organised about it.
Perhaps the solution is not to abandon the multi-niche idea but to organise it better.
For example, my blog can have clear categories such as:
Education | Technology | Finance | Sports | Environment | Self-Improvement | Uttarakhand | Blogging | Personal Experiences
This would allow me to continue writing about different interests without making the blog look completely random.
Should I Stay With Blogger or Move to a Paid Platform?
This is another question I am seriously considering.
Should I continue with Blogger/Blogspot, or should I move to a paid blogging platform?
My honest answer is: I would not rush to move simply because a platform is paid.
A paid platform can provide greater control and flexibility, but paying for hosting does not automatically bring readers.
The real questions are:
- Is the content useful?
- Is it original?
- Is it well organised?
- Can search engines understand it?
- Are the articles answering real questions?
- Am I publishing consistently?
- Am I improving my SEO knowledge?
If I cannot answer these questions positively, moving to a paid platform alone may not solve my problem.
Therefore, I would first improve MY DIARY PAGES and understand what is already working.
Will I Be Successful?
Now comes the most difficult question.
Will I be successful?
If by success I mean becoming a huge blogger and earning a large income, I cannot honestly promise that.
Nobody can.
Blogging is competitive, and search traffic can change. Monetization is never guaranteed.
But if success means building a useful collection of articles, continuing to learn, finding readers and enjoying the process, then I believe I have already achieved something.
And my discovery in 2026 has given me a reason to continue.
At 72, I am not trying to compete with a 25-year-old professional blogger.
I am doing something different.
I am writing from experience, curiosity and life.
My Advice to Other Retired People
If you are retired and wondering what to do with your time, I would say:
Learn something new.
It does not matter if you are 60, 70 or even older.
I learned computers after retirement.
I learned blogging.
I experimented with YouTube.
I made mistakes.
I failed to monetize my blog.
I stopped writing.
And then, unexpectedly, I discovered that people were still reading my old articles.
That was enough to make me pick up my pen—or, in my case, my keyboard—again.
The Internet Has a Long Memory
Perhaps this is what touched me most.
A diary normally remains in a drawer.
A blog is different.
Once published, your thoughts can travel far beyond you.
Someone searching for an answer today may discover an article you wrote years ago.
You may never know who read it.
You may never receive a comment.
You may never earn a rupee from it.
And yet, your words may still have reached another person.
That is a beautiful thought for a retired teacher and an ordinary writer like me.
My New Beginning
So, I have decided not to look at my old blog as a failure simply because it did not achieve the monetization I once hoped for.
Instead, I will look at it as an unfinished diary.
I will continue MY DIARY PAGES, improve my SEO knowledge, organise my old articles, update useful posts and write about subjects that genuinely interest me.
At the same time, I will continue developing THE SCHOOL OF GRAMMAR, where my 30-plus years of teaching experience can be put to practical use.
Perhaps I will succeed financially.
Perhaps I will not.
But I have learned something more important:
It is never too late to become a learner.
And sometimes, when you think nobody is listening, you may discover that somebody, somewhere, is still reading.
That was the day I discovered that my old blog was still being read.
And that small discovery has given me a new reason to write again.
Comments
Post a Comment
please do not enter any spam link in the comment box. Always, expect positive, innovative ideas for promotion of my blog. Your comments are very important for me.You are most welcome. I m from India, would like to enrich your knowledge relating to Indian mythology and way of life.